Taking a Toddler to Disneyland...ALONE

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Summer is coming, and that can only mean one thing for a ton of Disneyland Passholders - BLOCKOUT! We're completely blocked out the entire month of July and most of August, so we've been trying to go as much as we can these past couple of months. And since it's still relatively cool, I had this crazy idea of taking Owen to Disneyland today...all by myself.

And even though Disneyland is like my second home, I knew going solo would be "a whole new world"; however, after going today, I can tell you that it IS possible! (I'll be sharing some tips later.)

I like going to Disneyland early, so we left as soon as Owen woke up. We were in the park by 8:30am, and my first priority was to get some food; and, for me, there's only one place to go for a great breakfast - Carnation Café!


He was definitely hungry, and so was I!

He will always yell "POH!!!" whenever he sees that silly old bear, without fail.

We got a great table - outside and right on the edge, so we could see Main Street.

Eggs Benedict, seasoned potatoes, and coffee for me. Silver dollar pancakes, turkey bacon, and fruit for Owen.


I gave him a small piece of turkey bacon to try, and he just snatched the whole thing from my hand and began to eat it like so, lol!

We were lucky enough to meet Chef Oscar! He's been working at Disneyland for ALMOST 60 YEARS, making him the longest tenured cast member. Such an honor!


Between loading/unloading Owen from his stroller, going on rides, and walking around, I wasn't able to take many photos. From 9:30am to 11:30am, we managed to go on four rides: Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I would say that's an all-time record, especially with Owen!

After we went on the "Poh" ride, we headed to Fantasyland. I was hoping to squeeze in a couple more rides before we headed home, but Owen passed out on me. Kid can't hang.


So we headed home...Owen was OUT, so I took advantage of this time by going to Irvine Spectrum AND The Shops at Mission Viejo to do some Father's Day shopping. Owen was asleep this whole time, and as soon as I was done, he popped his eyes open. This was around 2pm, so we stayed a little longer at the mall to have a late lunch.


CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

And now we're at home, watching "The Good Dinosaur" and snacking on some blueberries. Needless to say, I am EXHAUSTED.




So after my solo trip to Disneyland with a toddler, this is what I've learned...

1. TRAVEL LIGHT AND SMART
Ralph and I typically bring Owen's regular diaper bag when we go to Disneyland, but I knew I needed something easier to carry around - a diaper backpack. In it was his changing pad, a change of clothes (or two), a small bag of toiletries (powder, hand sanitizer, sunscreen), a couple of snack bars, a sippy cup, a water bottle, diapers, and wipes. Now, I THOUGHT it'd be smart to also use it as my "purse", but - EHH, WRONG! - because I had to carry it with me EVERYWHERE, including the rides. So, in the future, I'll be taking the backpack and a small crossbody bag for my own stuff.

2. TAKING THE RIGHT STROLLER
This was my biggest concern. With Owen only being a year and a few months old, a stroller is a must; however, there was no way I could use our trusty Graco one-fold stroller. It's too big and bulky to carry on and off trams/shuttles while also having my hands full with a toddler and a backpack of stuff. Last week (when I first started thinking about doing this solo trip), I purchased a Cosco Umbrella Stroller at Target (and it was on sale too...yayuh!). It's easy and quick to fold up, AND it's super lightweight. 

Funny thing is, on our way to the parking structure this morning, we were forced to go to an alternate parking area, which was right next to Downtown Disney...which didn't require us to use a tram or shuttle at all. Soooo...we could've just used our regular stroller. Heh. 

(Also, you could also just fork over $15 for a rental stroller, but I wasn't going to do that, knowing that I'd be at the park only 5 or 6 hours max.)

(UPDATE!!!)
I've taken our Graco one-fold stroller, and I have to say that it's worth taking...even though it's heavier and bulkier; HOWEVER, only take it if you're absolutely comfortable transferring it on/off trams/shuttles while supervising a toddler. I trust Owen enough to follow directions, and there is ALWAYS someone close by who is willing to help you out. To be honest, I only used the umbrella stroller once.


3. MAP OUT YOUR DESTINATIONS FIRST
Get a map of the park, and identify the rides/attractions you want to (and can) go to. After that, plan your route so you can tackle all those rides/attractions and make the most out of your time. Today, I just stayed on the left side of the park because I knew the rides there were toddler-friendly, and the lines are typically short. If I had gone to Fantasyland first, I probably would've been able to go on just one ride. ("Curse you, Peter Pan!" Always a 10-week wait!)


And last, but not least...

4. PACE YOURSELF
When we first arrived (at the parking structure), I jumped out of the car and was so PUMPED about getting the day started. It was probably a 10- to 15-minute walk from our car to the security check-in, and I zoomed past everyone to get there; and as I was standing in line (and already a little sweaty), I asked myself, "What's the rush?" I had to remind myself, right then and there, that I had to slow down and pace myself for the rest of the trip. After all, there wasn't going to be another adult to carry Owen when he decides to start wandering off while we're waiting in line; or deal with a diaper blowout; or, my personal favorite, monitor Owen's every move during a meal so he doesn't do the following: steal your fork and use it to stab everything within arm's distance, grab his milk cup (by the straw) and turn it upside down because he thinks it's a sippy cup, shove 10 bites of food in his mouth at once, draw on the table with the crayons that come with the kids' menu, etc. So, with all that said, just "relaaax...enjoy the trip". (Yes, I'm quoting Disney movies in a Disney blog post. I can't help it.)

---------------------------------------

And I know I'm a little late on my weight loss update, so here it is:

I lost 3.8 lbs last month, making my total weight loss 17.8 lbs since January 1st of this year. I've also dropped 3 pant sizes, so I'm pretty stoked about my progress. Another crazy idea that I had this week was to include a workout before I go to work. On Tuesday, I woke up at 5:15 in the morning to jog for 30 minutes. Let's see if I do it again tomorrow.


Until next time!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!