Easy Doughnut Holes

Saturday, April 4, 2020


If you're missing those yummy doughnut holes from your local bakery (that's closed due to the pandemic), or if you're bored and have done every single Quarantine activity that you can think of, then try this super easy and 3-ingredient recipe. No lie. One, two, THREE ingredients.


What You Will Need:
- 1 can of biscuits from the freezer section (I personally like the "flaky" kinds best)
- Canola/vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar or whatever toppings you like on your donuts!


Step 1: Get out your ingredients. Start heating your oil on medium heat - it needs to reach 350 degrees. I use a big nonstick skillet with about 1 - 1.5 inches of oil.


Step 2: While your oil is heating up, open the can of biscuits, and separate them.


Step 3: Cut each biscuit in quarters, and roll them into little balls. If you fry them as is (pictured), then they could puff out like an accordion because of the layers. They still taste delicious though. ;)



(Note the lone piece that isn't rolled...just so you could see what it looks like fried.)

Step 4: Time to fry! If you don't have a candy thermometer to tell you how hot your oil is, no worries! I don't have one either! Take a wooden spoon, and carefully place the bottom of the handle in the oil. If bubbles are steadily forming, then it's good to go. If bubbles look violent, then lower the heat a bit. When all else fails, test a small piece of dough.


In small batches, gently place the dough in the oil. Once they're golden brown on one side, then it's time to flip! (I'm hoping you're smart enough to know NOT to do this part with your bare hands; but just in case, DON'T USE YOUR BARE HANDS.)


Quick side story: when I was a little girl (and money was tight), my mom would make these doughnuts for me - mini doughnuts and teeny tinier doughnut holes. I would get so excited watching her peel the paper from the can and hearing that "POP" when it would burst open. (It was definitely a lot scarier back then.) Then I'd help her cut out the holes from the center, and she'd tell me to stay back as she plopped them in hot oil.

Whenever I start frying and the smell of fried dough begins filling my own kitchen, I'm automatically brought back 25 years to our kitchen in our small apartment in the Valley (that's San Fernando Valley in Southern California for you non-SoCal folks). Those were some of the best days I've had with my mom.

Fry, my little pretties. Fry! FRY!


 Step 5: Once they're done, place them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil and to cool.


Step 6: Add your coat/glaze/toppings! My favorite is cinnamon sugar, which was what my mom always coated our doughnuts in. Ralph's is glaze, Owen's is glaze with sprinkles PLUS chocolate sauce for dipping (he's so extra), Henry's is powdered sugar, and Grace's is...all of the above.

Strawberries added for "balance".

Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or, my favorite, iced coffee!

I love how the kids went for the strawberries first. I give them strawberries every freaking morning with their waffles, and they never. touch. the. strawberries. WHY?



And that's it! Hope you enjoyed this quick and easy recipe. Mom, if you're reading this, I love you very much! (Sorry, ya'll. It's been 21 days since I've physically seen my mom and dad, and they live down the street from me. Missing them so much that I'm making food that reminds me of them and my childhood.)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!